C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:08:46 -0600
Kyle,

Closest thing I've heard of to what you're experiencing was my brother,
who was diagnosed with sleep apnea.  When he'd try to wake up in the
morning, it was almost impossible, because he was waking up every couple
of minutes throughout the night, although not for long enough that he
was actually aware of it.  He didn't talk about dreams of the type you
did, but he did talk about dreams of swimming under water and not being
able to reach the surface.  His doc prescribed a CPAP machine, because
he was waking up because his breathing would stop.  I guess CPAP
machines force the user to breathe, even though they may "forget" to on
their own.  He has no apparent disabilities.  The sleep apnea was
diagnosed by having him spend the night in a sleep lab where he was
closely monitored (EEG, EEG, videotape, etc.).

Kendall