From:
John Dinges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 05:41:26 -0500
Mike-
Your problem is Nortons Utilities. Once you put Nortons on your computer you can't totally, completely get rid of it.I spent many hours using many different pgms Norton (Symantec) recommended to try and get it off my computer so I could run Ghost. I never did get rid of all of it. About the best thing you can do now is reformat and reinstall. Don't put any Nortons back on there.
Go to your HD Manufacturers web site,>Support> then find their Diagnostic and Setup/Install Utilities.Maxtor calls theirs "Powermax" to test and format drives and "Maxblast" to Partition,Format,Setup,Transfer Files etc.The format pgm writes "0" to every sector making sure everything on the disk gets erased and no garbage or bits of files are left behind. Each manufacturer has basically the same pgms, but most will only let you use them on their drives.I have found them very fast and easy to use.Complete instructions are available on their site.
Hope this helps,
John

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:27:47 -0500, mike o'toole <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi,
>I am using win98 SE, and had a major problem with Norton Utilities Image. It seemed to partition my harddrive that was already partioned into 2 more drives.
>The image is on constantly and can't be reset or knocked off.
>Yesterday my system crashed and I cannot load windows, when I boot from rescue disk and run scandisk it gets stuck at a cluster and won't move on. the result is I just turn it off.
>any ideas ?
>
>                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
>               articles, how-to's, tech tips and much more
>                          http://freepctech.com

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com