From:
Jay Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 15:30:32 -0600
From: Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>

> The evidence is pretty substantial that insulin levels have more to
> do with health and longevity than any other factors (other than, of
> course, avoiding short-term poisons like arsenic).

Agreed it is a factor in health but as far as longevity, calorie
restriction is still one of the few things dramatically improving
life span.

> As such, if the general population changed from french fries and
> cookies to bacon, the resulting overall health increase would probably
> cut the national medical expenditure in half.

Could be, but it seems you are basing this line of thought
by saying that all carbs are bad like french fries. There are
good carbs and bad carbs, as well as many low-glycemic
carbs that do not throw insulin levels out of whack at all.

As long as we are guessing, I would venture to say
that if someone skipped the french fries, cookies,
and the bacon, and ate an apple, some nuts, and
some rabbit, fish, yard eggs, or even some grass-fed
steak from  a farm that treats its animals right
(you know, that diet called the Paleo diet), the
national medical expenditure could be eliminated
(Ok, you would still have expenses related to accidents
and such, but changing diets isn't likely to stop
car wrecks).

(And the person would still need the other stuff
that keeps you healthy, too, such as exercise,
sunshine, fresh air, pure water, etc. All of these
things certainly have a place in maintaining health.
Remember we are only as strong as our weakest
link).

> Which is why virtually every medical authority has argued against the
> otherwise obvious shift from low-fat to low-carb.

Not to stand up for the rats in high places,
but it could be that they are reluctant to tell people
this information because some people keep on eating
the KFC fried chicken they were eating, only now
said people feel good about it because they think
they are eating healthy. <g>

Atkins did eventually try and improve the quality
of the food it was promoting, but the above is why
even I am sometimes hesitant about what information
I tell someone because I'm afraid of the direction
the some people will take it in.

Jay Banks
www.roadtowellsville.com