NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Karin McDonough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 15:54:25 -0700
--- [log in to unmask] wrote:

> So my question is, what is the down side of using an epi-pen when it's
> not actually needed?  How dangerous is it?  My son is 6, in first grade,
> if that makes a difference.

I asked this question when I was told to use my epi-pen if I even thought I was
reacting.  I was told that using the epi-pen is like drinking 5 cups of coffee
all at once.  If you haven't been exposed, it will just make you extremely
jittery, and that doesn't actually last all that long.  If you have been
exposed, it can save your life.

Having gone into anaphylaxis twice now, I can say that while it makes me
jittery, it also makes sure I can breathe, and that's worth any amount of
jittering.

Karin McDonough