C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:11:16 -0700
Hi Jeremy,

I've needed help with ADLs all my life, so I'm sure it's easier for me to
adapt to needing more help as I age, than someone who has needed little or
no help for much of life. Though I miss the things I once could do (like
getting myself to bed at night) I find that every time I live within my
limitations and get more help, my life improves. Its paradoxical - when I
have adequate help, my disability is less restrictive and I gain
independence.

To get philosophical on y'all, I think of it as honoring my body/my life.
Society says lots about how lousy it must be to have a body that doesn't
work and to need physical help to get through the day. I certainly wouldn't
mind being able to get through the day on my own, but the way I live is
really just fine! This is my life, and I might as well respect my body (with
its limitations) and live my life to the fullest.

Pam

p.s. I've gotten to know some great people, whom I never would have known,
because I need assistants. I've hired lots of students, some who have become
doctors and lawyers and university professors;  some world travelers; a
documentary film maker; artists; computer geeks; and one or two body
piercer/tattoo artists (they were actually sweet, reliable people). Having
these people around can add some spice to life.

> Hi,
>
> I am Jeremy, a 29 year old New Zealander with CP.  I have been a lurker on
this list for a long
> time, and a very occasional poster.  The list has been a fantastic place
to see how different
> people live with CP, and to realise that my experiences with it are not
unique.

> I studied computing after leaving school, and since graduating have worked
at a couple of software
> development companies.  Work has enabled me to save up and build a house
which I have lived in for
> nearly two years now.  Leaving my parents was probably one of the scariest
things I did, but it is
> also one of the best things I did.  I am independent as far as personal
care goes, and get 1.5
> hours a day help to do the cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc.
>
> Like a lot of people on the list I have noticed a gradual deterioration in
my abilities as I get
> older.  It is just little things, less energy, less coordination, things
take longer, aching joints
> and more spasms.  So far, I have been able to adapt and cover for these
things, and I am fortunate
> to have a very accommodating employer who lets me work at home a lot.
>
> However, taking 3-4 hours and a truck load of energy just to get ready for
work in the morning is
> starting to become a problem (-:  I have showered and dressed myself since
I was 11 or 12, and I am
> having trouble coming to terms with the fact that I really need help with
this now.  Being stubborn
> and pig-headed doesn't help when it comes to accepting more help either!
>
> I realise that it is going to happen one day, and life will probably be a
lot easier once I do get
> some help in the morning.  I won't be so damn tired and might have the
energy for a social life
> again for a start!  The sensible bits (not to mention family and friends)
say I should have asked