From:
Lori Kelley-Mull <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lori Kelley-Mull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:46:03 -0400

Hi everyone,
Again - thanks so much for all the responses.

The bottom line is - when it comes to reading labels versus calling companies - it's a personal choice and based on your own body.

Lots of people said that gluten is often not labeled on packaging.  By this, I do not mean the label will say "modified food starch" instead of gluten.  What I mean is - perhaps they dusted one of the safe ingredients (like almonds) with wheat flour before it was put into the product.  In cases like this - all the ingredients on the label may be fine, but gluten is still in the product.

Again, bottom line - some people check with all companies, some just read labels.  If you just read labels, it is imperative to know what we can and cannot eat and to carefully monitor your body for signs of gluten ingestion.

Some mentioned that after awhile, one builds up a good "pantry" of foods they trust and always use.

Cheers to you all,
Lori, DC suburbs of Virginia