From:
Loretta Moak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Loretta Moak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 12:50:14 -0800

Part 2 of summary: skin pain or tenderness

GLUTEN RELATED RESPONSES:

I have the same thing, only now it's progressively better. In addition to
the pain and tenderness, I would have severe itching and actually scratch
until I bled.  I was diagnosed about 1-1/2 years ago, and have been GF since
then.  I suppose I get into something unwittingly occasionally, but never
knowingly.  I still have it occasionally, only never so intense as before.
I was misdiagnosed over and over again about the problem (pre-Celiac
diagnosis).  Really, nothing I did relieved it.  It had to run its course.
I have nothing to offer, except to say that since being GF, it is much
better.

I get the same kind of thing.  It feels like a sunburn, only nothings there.
It is usually on my forearm or my thigh.  It's been a long time since I've
had this happen.  I think going GF might have helped.

I had that frequently before I was diagnosed & went GF. When I was doing a
kind of gluten challenge before my biopsy, it lasted more than ever before
(24 hrs). Hasn't happened since I went GF!

I've had that too and seems to be related to gluten ingestion.  And it does
go away after a couple of days.  But I've noticed that the longer I'm on the
gluten free diet, I don't notice it as much.

I get it sometimes - so far as I can tell, it is linked to accidental gluten
ingestion but I haven't been able to verify that yet.  I asked about it on
the listserv awhile ago and was surprised to find out how many people get
it. No great cures that I've found so far - mostly I just put cream on the
area and it goes away on its own within 12 hours or so.

COMMENTS FROM OTHERS WHO HAVE SIMILAR SYMPTOMS:

I have had something like that earlier in the fall.  My skin hurt so bad on
my legs I could not even wear my jeans.  Only soft knits.  I do not know
what caused it.  It began with just a small patch and gradually went over my
whole body.  I was retaining water at the time and also had a couple of
gluten accidents.  I don't know if either of these things had any bearing on
it.  I never had any sores, my skin just hurt whenever anything touched it.

I have not been diagnosed as celiac (our daughter is so I might be).  I have
had a similar experience to you, however.  I would describe it as a skin
irritation of sorts - I usually get it on my hand and it can spread up my
arm.  Nothing visible.  It has never been so severe that I took pain
medication, though.  Like yours, it goes away in a few days.  I have assumed
it is an irritated nerve.  My doctor had never heard of it and was no help.

I'll be interested to know if you and I are the only sufferers of this!

I am experiencing the very same thing. Only recently, and occasionally, the
inside of my forearm will burn. It's just the surface of the skin, and it's
especially tender when my sleeve brushes against it. It feels like a
scratchy or thorny branch is being dragged across it when the fabric of my
clothing moves. When I look at it, there are no sores, no pimples, no rash,
in fact it's not even red. It's weird, like an invisible rash or something.