From:
Rodney Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rodney Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 05:31:07 -0800

Thanks to all those who replied to my question
regarding the length of time it takes the villi to
heal.  About a dozen people responded by how soon they
FELT better, how soon their ANTIBODIES went back to
normal and how soon their BIOPSY results were normal.

People said they FELT better in as little as 2 weeks
or as long as 2 years.  The average was 82 weeks or
more than a year to actually feel better.

Those that reported ANTIBODY results said these
returned to normal in 6 - 18 months.

Only two people reported follow-up BIOPSY results and
they reported complete healing at 7 months and 4
years.

One corresponded reported that research indicates it
takes about 2 years for most people to see healing of
the villi in the small intestine.  Two corespondents
talked about taking extra glutamine (the most abundant
amino acid in the human body and the favorite fuel of
intestinal cells) or a partially metabolized protein
powder and powdered multivitamin supplement by Thorne
Research.  A web search confirmed that extra glutamine
and adequate zinc are recommended as ways to speed
healing of the gut.

So, based on your responses, it sounds like feeling
better can occur quickly, as quickly as a couple of
weeks, but it doesn't always happen as fast as we
would like.  The antibodies can return to normal in
maybe 6 months, but intestinal healing may take much
longer, up to 4 years in some cases.  Easily digested
proteins and especially glutamine may help speed the
healing process.  Thanks so much for all your input.
I now have a better understanding of the need to be
patient with my healing process.  Rodney Robbins