From:
Lynda Swink <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 11:43:14 -0800

Hello, here are the results from my inquiry about diarrhea and cures.
Thanks to all on the list who provided their helpful insights and
advice.

~~~Under Cures I got the following advice:

1 for - "Podophyllum Peltatum 6c" from Boiron.

3 for - Metamucil in water

1 for - charcoal tablets

10 for - Immodium A-D  (last I knew this was not GF. Apparently it
changed on of the times when I was off line)

1 for - Overcooked rice

2 for - Metamucil/Fibercon

3 for - Lomotil - prescription

4 for - BRAT Diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast)  Or as one
suggested "the BRA diet" for us.

1 for - Macaroon cookies

1 for - Plain Yogurt

1 for - Loperamide an OTC drug

1 for - Kombuchatea tea

~~~Under culprits I got the following:

5 for - Marinade

1 for - Flour coating on the meat

1 for - carbs

1 for - fiber of any kind

3 for - Salad dressing

13 for - Milk products  (plus 3 specifically for sour cream, sour cr.
lite, and imitation sour cream.)

3 for - Sauces

1 for - Oils

5 for - Marinades

4 for - A bug going around ( I had no fever)

3 for - Cross contamination

~~~I also got the following information which I left intact as I thought
the information would be more clearly understood:

>>>I had heard last year (at a Bob & Ruth's travel and dining out
seminar) that prime rib is only manufactured in 2 places in the U.S.
One is safe and the other isn't.  It usually comes packed in a marinade
from one of the two places.  Since the restaurant people are always
clueless on their source, we should avoid it.  I never bothered to
remember where the safe one is from b/c Bob said the restaurant workers
don't know.  I've only had prime rib once since then, when the chef
assured me that his prime rib was straight from the butcher and he
didn't put anything on it that would hurt me.  It was wonderful and I
was fine.

I have never had a problem with sour cream anywhere, as long as it was
regular and not lite.

~~~ AND also

>>>Did your butter or sour cream have annatto in it.

ANNATTO COLORING IS BAD BECAUSE IT HAS ALCOHOL IN IT
ANNATTO BY ITSELF IS GF

CFR Title 21 Sec. 73.30 Annatto extract.
(a) Identity. (1) The color additive annatto extract is an extract
prepared from annatto seed, Bixa orellana L., using any one or an
appropriate combination of the food-grade extractants listed in
paragraph (a)(1) (i)
and (ii) of this section: (i) Alkaline aqueous solution, alkaline
propylene glycol, ethyl alcohol or alkaline solutions thereof, edible
vegetable oils or fats, mono- and diglycerides from the glycerolysis of
edible vegetable oils or fats. The alkaline alcohol or aqueous extracts
may be treated with food- grade acids to precipitate annatto pigments,
which are separated from the liquid and dried, with or without
intermediate recrystallization, using the solvents listed under
paragraph (a)(1)(ii) of this section. Food-grade alkalis or carbonates
may be added to adjust alkalinity. (ii) Acetone, ethylene dichloride,
hexane, isopropyl alcohol, methyl alcohol, methylene chloride,
trichloroethylene.

~~~And finally, after specifically asking not to be lectured... I got
the following:

Hey Linda,

That will teach you! You just can't trust to all restaurants. That will
go away in few days, but gluten free means gluten free. You just can't
beat it!

I learned that lesson before, so all of us did.

Happy recovery!

~~~And then the following:

if you had checked the archives you would have found the homeopathic
remedy Veratrum Alb 30c mentioned....2 pills under the tongue stops
diarrhea cold with no side effects!  get it at a health food store for
$5 a vial.

in addition, you need to build up your gut....deal with leaky gut
syndrome.  again, this is in the archives....with each meal take one
L-Glutamine capsule and one Probiotics complex.  just a gf diet heals
the gut in 4-5 years, but the formula above heals it in 5 or 6 months,
tho you should take the formula for the rest of your life to keep your
gut healthy.

~~~Regarding the above a comment from me:

Friends, all of us do not live on this list.  Many of us don't always
read every "jot and tittle" that comes via the list (quite a bit of it
is repetitious).

In fact, for better or worse I am one of those.  I have been off and on
the list many times over the past 10 or so years, and when I am on I
often scan the list for new and helpful information to read and toss the
rest. Yes, there is an archive, and yes most of us do diligently try to
adhere to the diet.  But upon occasion there is going to be a time when
an accident happens, or we are just flat out too miserable to wade
through the archives.  So, on these rare occasions, why not a bit of
compassion instead of the high and mighty lecture?  Thanks.

Sincerely,

Lynda Swink

~*~ [log in to unmask]  ~*~ _@V ~*~