From:
Kelly Rohlfs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Rohlfs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:28:50 -0700

Quorn makes two meat free, gluten free, wonderful protein products.  I love
these and use them just as I would use small chunks of chicken, in stir
fry, sweet and sour, casseroles, etc.  Here is the info from the package:

  It is made from a mushroom that is fermented like yogurt.  You may think
yuk, but the texture and look is just like the best part of chicken or
turkey.  The flavor is just a bit blander than chicken, so a little added
flavor is nice (like gravy).  Ounce for ounce it has almost twice as much
protein as an egg, twice the fiber of fresh broccoli, half the calories and
a third less fat than skinless chicken breast, and zero cholesterol.  The
two gluten free products are the roast (similar to a turkey roast) and I
think the chicken style recipe tenders.  I only have the roast at home now.
They make several other quorn products but these are the only GF
ones.  Info is at www.quorn.com or [log in to unmask]  I did e-mail the
company to verify the GF status as one ingredient is "natural flavors".   I
ordered a case of the roast from my local health food store.  It is so
quick and easy to use.  I roast it whole in the toaster oven, or I cut it
up and use it in other dishes.
The roast also contains some egg and milk ingredients.  Not sure of the
chicken tender ingredients, but it is GF.
Kelly