EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Rebman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:55:39 -0700
>But what about those other disabled person's "basic
>needs" such as me?
>
>There is a reason why the theme of the United Nations
>charter focusses on this very subject?  I am NOT able
>to leave my house often so as to hold a prestigious
>position as Richard and get daily social input.  I
>rely on these e-mails for information.  I too need to
>be accommodated and informed.

I don't think anybody is arguing that this is not a necessary or beneficial
conversation, but rather that this is not the proper forum.  There is
another listserv out of St. Johns called "advocacy-l" which is a more
appropriate choice for this kind of discussion.  The point remains that
this list is primarily about technologies that help us to do our jobs and
live our lives more independently, not about the politics associated with
those activities, per se.

If advocacy-l does not fit the bill, I might suggest starting a listserv on
Topica or OneList for this purpose.  I think it *is* a worthwhile topic,
but I reiterate, this is not the proper forum.

Last week I posted a technical question to this list concerning earbuds and
got not a single reply, and I have to wonder if some people may have
dropped off the list or tossed out the digest versions after a quick glance
after seeing the number of back-and-forth kinds of messages on political
topics.

One more time... it *is* valid, worthwhile, and useful for this kind of
discussion, but not here.  If another list to carry this kind of dialog
were to be setup, I would most likely join it because I would feel much
more comfortable getting on my political soapbox in a place where it is
appropriate.

...When I complain, I like to propose solutions, not just bitch.

-- Jim

---------------------------
James A. Rebman

Cognitive Levers Project
Center for Life-Long Learning and Design (L3D)
Department of Computer Science
College of Engineering and Applied Science
University of Colorado, Boulder

"In times of change, the learners will inherit the earth, while the learned
will find themselves beautifully equipped for a world that no longer exists."
- Eric Hoffer

"...and the times they are a changin'..."
- Bob Dylan