EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"David R. Stong" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:21:19 -0500
Folks, I've rarely posted to this list; I'm thankful for the
information and points of view that I get exposed to and don't need
to participate. This morning's forwarded Chronicle article caught my
eye and I forwarded it once again to my group. I feel that to read
the article and see first and foremost the exclusion of students with
hearing impairments is to miss the positives of the experiment. Any
educational facility that receives federal funds should be on the
verge of making all Web based materials universally accessible- any
recorded audio track should have a transcript available, too.
Broadcast lectures reach people who are sick or confined due to other
circumstances. If they're archived they can be played at the user's
discretion. And I would bet that there are a few students with vision
impairment who are strongly attracted.
I think this is a fantastic idea, and not exclusionary in intent or
reality. I'm thankful for the post and for the efforts of Douglas
Rowlett.

-
David R. Stong,
graphic designer & Web user advocate
(814)865-1843
225 Computer Building, University Park, PA 16802

The Pennsylvania State University is committed to the policy that all
persons shall have equal access to programs, facilities, admission,
and employment without regard to personal characteristics not related
to ability, performance, or qualifications as determined by
University policy or by state or federal authorities. It is the
policy of the University to maintain an academic and work environment
free of discrimination, including harassment. The Pennsylvania State
University prohibits discrimination and harassment against any person
because of age, ancestry, color, disability or handicap, national
origin, race, religious creed, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran
status. Discrimination or harassment against faculty, staff, or
students will not be tolerated at The Pennsylvania State University.
Direct all inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policy to the
Affirmative Action Director, The Pennsylvania State University, 201
Willard Building, University Park, PA  16802-2801, Tel
814-865-4700/V, 814-863-1150/TTY.