VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:46:16 -0700
Hi,

Have a self-contained gps system with good maps to utilize would be
effective enough in the beginning so long as you can keep the costs down.
All the other "fancy" stuff ads much to the cost without so much benefits.
What we need is 1. a good system with GPS and good maps built in and a good
way to update the maps, 2. a low cost, and 3. good mobility training.  I was
fortunate enough to have both good mobility training and a mother who would
kick me outsidejust like all the other kids.

Once radar, sonar, lasar, or nutrino/takkion reception becomes good enough
and cheap enough to incorporate without a large cost, we can consider the
best way of posibly doing so.  Until then, remember that blind/visually
impaired people tend to live on fixed incomes which are far below the norm
for everyone else.  Design something for the sighted which is accessible for
the blind and lowcost and the blind will buy it.  The prove this again and
again.

Make it so complicated and expensive that government agencies are the only
ones who can afford it and not very many people who really need it will ever
be able to have it.

If you want to invest time/effort/money in to a project which appears to
meet those criteria, contact me off list and I will discuss more details.  I
can be reached at 415-515-7728 or email at [log in to unmask]

David Chittenden