Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 21:41:03 +1300
Michael, I'll add a couple more cents worth to Dean's good advice.  Personally, I feel you'd be better advised to disconnect the machine from the power source.  Don't just switch off - pull the plug.  The other leads don't matter - remove them if they're in your way.

Remove the left-hand side of the case (as viewed from the front) or, if it's a U-shaped cover, remove the whole cover.

If it's a tower-type case, (most are) lay it down on it's side.  You should now be able to look down upon the motherboard and other components.  The CPU, heatsink and fan will be facing upwards.

Leave the case where it is until you finish the job - when you later switch it on to try it out, the PC will run perfectly well on it's side.  (But don't try to stand it upright while it's running - switch off first)

I wouldn't bother buying an earthing wriststrap - just grip the metal case for a few seconds before you attempt to remove components.  This method isn't as good as earthing yourself to the house mains, but it's adequate.  It at least ensures that you've equalized any electrostatic potential between your body and the case.

(But if you live in a dry climate, have a fluffy nylon carpet underfoot, and shuffle off frequently for cups of coffee, re-ground yourself each time before starting work)

Now you should be able to work on the machine comfortably.  But avoid touching any circuitry, no matter how well you're grounded - handle all cards by the edges and don't touch anything you don't need to.  Apart from elecrostatic discharge, the acid in your skin can also damage metal terminals.

(One of my customers has such virulent skin acid that she ruins a keyboard in 12 - 18 months;  the letters on the more commonly used keys get burnt off)

When you've finished, reconnect the leads and switch on.  If all goes well, you'll see the RAM counting up the new total on the first boot screen.  (If it doesn't go well, you'll hear some unfamiliar beeps and see nothing on screen!)

Good Luck!

PS - I suggest you don't mix your old ram with the new.  It's cheap enough now to be able to afford a whole new set.
PPS - You need to be firm when you're inserting the new ram - especially if it's into an unused slot.  But as long as it's the right type - it'll go in.  If you're in doubt, pull out the old stuff first and eyeball it against the new lot to see that the terminals match up.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand