BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 19:30:34 -0500
Thank's Dan!  This sounds promising.  I'm using OSX.  I have a
Powerbook G4, 15".  It won't take the Airport Extreme card, so I'm
kinda thinking I should get the Airport card before they become
extinct.  But I can't justify a base station at this point.  But if I
can use the card to get on the net while I'm traveling, that I could
justify.

-jc

On Sunday, August 17, 2003, at 07:24  PM, Becker, Dan wrote:

> If you have a card, you should be able to log on. Are you using OSX?
>
> Here's an introductory article on the state of wireless hotspots as of
> March:
> <http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2003/03/06/
> hot_spots.html?page=1>. Improving, but still not universal.
>
> Free hotspots exist <http://www.wififreespot.com/>. Cafe Atlantique,
> LLC, 33 River Street, Milford shows up on this list. Lots of Portland
> locations. But generally bandwidth is not free. You'll pay for the
> time you use it. There are subscription plans, there are pay-as-you-go
> situations.
>
> However, unless the network services are being provided by your ISP,
> you won't be able to use your email software...all email will have to
> be conducted using a web-mail interface (otherwise, you'd be relaying
> your email through the connection, and that's not a good thing in this
> spammed-up world, so most ISP's are set up to prohibit relaying).
>
> Anyway, that should get you started. There's a lot of info on the web
> if you fire up your Googler.
>
> Dan

John Callan, Architect, Inc.
Historic Preservation and Museum Services
784 Deerwood Circle
Lino Lakes, Minnesota  55014-5433

(651) 486-0890