VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ron Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 14:35:57 -0400
  Hi Kelly,
Your comment regarding choosing ones access technology according to the
needs one has is well said, however, I would like to respond to your
comments regarding the PAC Mate which were somewhat subjective and in a
couple of instances, unfortunately, incorrect.

Let me take a moment to address the pertinent points. I will place your
comments in quotations followed by additional information which may be
useful as one considers the  PAC Mate and other available personal
digital assistants.

You said: "Pack mates aren't really super rugged like how Braille and
Speaks were." You will find that the PAC Mate is not fragile or flimsy
in construction. Your comparison to the Braille 'N Speak is, to some
extent, akin to comparing apples to tangerines. They are very different
in size, weight, etc. None of the currently available pda's can be
compared to the Braille 'N Speak directly, they all differ markedly in
form from this unit.

You said: "A basic laptop can easily run programs like Microsoft Word,
Outlook Express, internet Explorer and stand-alone day planning
programs.  A pack mate can't do this, so for me the blind end user's
needs should be really special and specific to justify the added cost."
The PAC Mate uses Windows Mobile 2003 (also known as Pocket PC 2003).
The PAC Mate user has full access to the features of Microsoft Outlook
with the Inbox, Calendar, Contact and Notes fully synchronized every
time the PAC Mate is connected to a pc--this includes any folders that
have been set up within outlook. If a user prefers Outlook Express to
Outlook, there is an third party application available that allows the
PAC Mate to synchronize with Outlook Express in the same way. Also,
Windows Mobile 2003 provides versions of Microsoft Word, Internet
Explorer and Excel so that you can work on your Word documents, excel
workbooks or browse the net using the PAC Mate. Applications such as
SKYPE and MSN Messenger enhance one's connectivity and communications
abilities with the PAC Mate. Other third party applications such as
AudiblePlayer, which lets you listen to books from Audible.com on the
PAC Mate or GSPlayer and Pocket Player which can play streaming audio
using a number of sources including Winamp .PLS files and the usual .wav
and MP3 types already included in Microsoft Media player (also included
on the PAC Mate) let you add new and useful applications to your PAC
Mate. Finally, the PAC Mate's Inbox, Calendar, Tasks and Contacts
features can be used to provide "standalone" email planner and
telephone/address book without connection to a pc.

For more information about the PAC Mate, including downloadable manuals
and MP3 Basic Training Modules, check out the PAC Mate links at Freedom
Scientific's website. For more info about how many people are using
their PAC Mates and what kinds of "off the shelf" applications they are
finding to use with their PAC Mates check out pacmategear.com. This is
not a Freedom Scientific website but you will certainly find useful info
there.

My very best regards

Ron Miller