VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Senk, Mark J." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Senk, Mark J.
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 10:54:10 -0400
From the Audio Tips list

ABC To Provide Live Audio Web cast Of Rally To Save RSA Programs

Proposed changes threaten delivery of vocational rehabilitation
services.

Media Contacts:

John Oliveira, President, Association Of Blind Citizens

Phone: (781) 961-1023

Event Web Cast Information And Comment Phone Line:

(206) 202-2131

 Boston (May 25, 2005) - Over a thousand blind and disabled people
will gather in Washington Thursday to protest cutbacks and other
changes at the Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA).
Spearheaded by the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) and
supported by numerous other disability organizations, the protest
will challenge Department of Education plans to close ten regional
RSA offices, eliminate about half the agency's personnel, downgrade
the position of commissioner of the RSA, and block grant vocational
rehabilitation funds.

 "These proposals significantly weaken our nation's commitment to
help the blind become productive taxpayers rather than recipients of
public benefits," said Marc Maurer, president of the NFB. "The blind
and disabled face a disheartening unemployment rate of over 70
percent, yet the Department of Education wants to dismantle the
single most effective program for preparing the blind to enter the
workforce."

The Association Of Blind Citizens is pleased to announce that we will
broadcast an audio feed live from the rallye in Washington, DC.
Individuals may access the web cast directly from the ABC web site
at:

http://www.blindcitizens.org/live

At 12:00 P.M. on Thursday May 26, 2005.  In addition, some coverage
may be available through the above link after 11:00 A.M before the
formal speaking program begins.  Interested parties may also call for
updated broadcast schedule information, and leave comments by
dialing:

(206) 202-2131

"We're pleased to be able to provide a technology infrastructure to
allow audiences around the globe to virtually participate in this
event with us, even if they cannot be in Washington," said Mika
Pyyhkala, vice president of ABC.  "By leveraging our own expertise
along with our technology partners, we can bring a web audience to
Washington with us," continued Pyyhkala.

 Both John Oliveira, president, and Mika Pyyhkala vice president will
participate in the rally in person.  "We've also made some logistical
supports available to people in the community to try to bring as many
people to Washington in person," said Oliveira.  "We're pleased to be
involved in an endeavor to try to maintain and enhance services
related to employment opportunities for people  who are blind," said
Olivera.