VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2004 22:13:15 -0500
Hello all,

I will respond to all the posted messages so far in this reply.

first Mike, I agree with your situation.  for most blind people who are
using the local phone service from companies that started offering it in the
last eight years, they do not and cannot receive free directory assistance.
The reason for this is simply a numbers game.  when phone companies started
to charge for directory assistance in the 1970s and 1980s, there were just a
handful of providers in each state for the most part.  When the issue was
fresh, blindness and disability leaders worked with state utility
commissions to exempt the blind from these charges.  these exemptions were
incorporated into the tariffs on file with these commissions and
incorporated into the rate structure.  with the advent of local competition,
scores of companies now offer local telephone service in some large states,
such as Pennsylvania and Illinois where we both live.  blindness or
disability leaders have not focused on telecommunications access on the
state level and generally have not raised this issue with local utility
commissions.

the Telecommunications Act of 1996 was supposed to change things by
requiring that telecommunications companies provide accessible services.
Arguably, this would include access to telephone directories.  the FCC has
not issued any guidance to telephone companies as to what is expected in
complying with Section 255 (the accessibility provisions) of this act.
Enforcement is at the discretion of the FCC.  the current chairman of the
FCC, Michael Powel, is the son of Colin Powel, who sat on the board of time
Warner when it merged with AOL and approved the AOL merger before he was
appointed secretary of State by president bush.  In addition to AOL, time
Warner properties include CNN, the Turner Cable Networks, the Road runner
broadband internet service, and the Winamp MP3 player.  the merger has been
considered by many to be a failure.  Michael has analogized that the digital
divide is something akin to a "Mercedes divide."  the lack of directory
assistance from these new competitors which was not supposed to happen, will
likely continue under the bush Administration given its harsh rebuke of
those raising concerns about universal access in the new telecommunications
landscape.

the short response to your experience is that this state of affairs was not
what was promised by our national advocates but given the fact that people
with disabilities cannot sue to enforce the civil rights provisions in the
Telecommunications Act the situation will likely continue under the current
political administration.

regarding David's fear that $5 a month local service  will likely disappear
sooner than later, I might suggest that David consider the situation with
long distance service.  David, I am surprised you had not referenced this
example, considering your participation on the FCC consumer Advisory
committee.  Long distance rates have dropped steadily during the past 20
years to the point where we can now call anywhere in the lower 48 states,
Canada, the UK, and China for two and a half cents a minute.  this is as a
result of dramatic changes in regulation and technology.  given the track
record of long distance, extreme price reductions in local telephone service
enabled by technological changes that are long term and sustainable may
indeed be possible.  While free checking at banks may not exactly be free,
it is for most of the people with those accounts.  I suspect the same will
be the experience for those with ultra cheap local phone service.

Steve is right, broadband service has not reached many rural areas.  unless
one lives within a mile and a half of a telephone switching station or in an
area served by cable television service, one likely can't get affordable
high speed digital connectivity.  Further, most areas with lower population
densities have not had their infrastructure upgraded for the new technology.
hopefully, Internet connectivity through power lines will be the killer app.
In states with both rural and urban populations, the low income urban folks
may be paying subsidies for universal service but unfortunately do not see
the benefits because of the limits placed on deployment on the new
technology.

Kelly