VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Seymour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Seymour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 22:27:38 -0700
To All,

The below concerns WordPerfect 6.1 for DOS, the word processing
program that I have been using for several years now.

My laptop recently developed the same problem as my desktop
developed a few years ago, and which I never did fix. I searched
the Internet and found that I am not alone, but the problem is
rare.

The problem is this: When I try to do any of the search
functions, F2 alone, with Shift or Alt, the computer freezes.

Oddly, this does not happen when I search in the Document
manager, F5, or when I search in its "Look" feature, #3.

(Control F2, the spell check, is also not a problem.)

From the below item that I found on the Internet, the problem is
cause when searching for too many large strings of text,
especially in large documents. This is exactly what I was doing
when the problem developed.

I would love to solve the problem by deleting the excessive text
from the search entry field, but of course, when I press F2 so I
can get at it, the program freezes.

Is there another way to get at the search entry fields? Is there
a back door that I can slip into so I can clean out the text?

Does anybody no about this problem, and, better yet, how to solve
it?

Below is the exchange that I found on the Internet. It describes
the same problem, and suggests a solution. The guy who answers
sounds knowledgeable. His first suggestion sounds like a way to
fix the problem, but it sounds too complex for me to dare to try
to tackle alone.

Thanks,
Peter Seymour

 6.2 Search causes Freeze 06-28-2003 05:41 PM

Nobody here has noticed that 6.2 freezes when they do lots of
searches? (have posted about this before, but can't find it)

Am mostly checking table of contents by blocking entry, putting
it into variable, pasting it in search, and going to where it is
in doc. 6.2 is freezing so often am posting here to vent.
Can freeze after doing lots of searches even when I type in short
word to search. Once 6.2 freezes, if I exit, reload then simply
hit search, 6.2 freezes again.
Fix by replacing the *.SET file (I have two handy bk!s of SET),
but it keeps freezing.

Guessing problem is that list of last several searches is kept in
SET and too many searches too quick causes corruption of SET.
Am tempted to make SET read only, but most of my macros turn off
bell and so must change SET.

Can't believe I'm only one having this problem. This is first
time the problem has occurred so often.

BELOW IS THE RESPONSE TO THE ABOVE:

Chris Scott
Senior Member
WPO: wpdos
OS: win98se
NOS:
(IP: Logged)

06-30-2003 06:19 PM

Have yet to have problems since doing two things:

1. redirected temp files to blank directory instead of same
directory that SET is in. Based on superstitious belief that SET
file was changing at same time as temp files, they were crashing
into each other and corrupting SET, so put temps elsewhere
(please don't post laughter).

2. Limiting number of characters searched for. I tend to search
for entire line, now I block several words -- macro automatically
blocks line, assigns to variable and puts it in search, or
searches for what I've blocked. Have same macro for 5.1 and have
yet to have problem.