VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 23:45:29 -0500
A few years ago after an intense period of numerous message posts many list
members complained about the volume of messages and the lower quality of the
average message posted to the list.  In considering the various
alternatives, the list owners, Mark, Gregory, and myself decided to return
to the fundamental purpose of the list:  to serve as an online extension of
a visually impaired computer user group.  At a vicug, mutual skill and idea
sharing doesn't continue without end and the organizers work to encourage
and empower everyone in the group to master information technology for their
own independence.  to prevent list members from getting a flood of messages,
only 10 messages are distributed in a given day.  when this limit is
reached, messages are held until they are released by a list owner, usually
the next day.

to encourage diverse participation the two message limit from a specific
list member policy was also put in place at the same time.  it makes sense
in the context of the overall limit of 10 messages a day.  Our experience
has been that many of the high number of messages in a single day from a
single user result from the particular list member sending multiple messages
to the list on the same subject.  often one can fully participate by
consolidating all of one's thoughts in a single message.

We hope this furthers the understanding of what we are trying to achieve
through the vicug process.

Kelly