VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jody W Ianuzzi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jody W Ianuzzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 14:41:29 -0400
My vote on the subject of handicapped parking for the blind is that
blindness is not a walking disability.  I would never consider getting a
parking permit based on my blindness.  I am probably a better walked then
most since I have to walk when most people drive. I would be traveling with
a sighted driver under such circumstances and there fore I could avoid all
the unknown hazards that some one else mentioned might be there.  I would
prefer to walk and leave the parking space open to someone who really needs
it.

I know a legally blind woman who still drove a car because she felt she
needed it to get to the store.  (groan!)  Anyway, she applied for a
handicapped parking pass based on her blindness and the DMV gave it to her!
They never did a cross check to see if she still had a drivers license!  She
is driving her car and using the walking permit!  THAT'S scary!

Now if someone is blind and they have a problem walking I think they should
get handicapped parking passes because of their walking problem, but not
their blindness.

Isn't it ironic that blind people are having a problem qualifying for
paratransit because in many places blindness does not qualify you for
service, but blind people can get walking permits when they don't need them.
SNAFU

My other two cents on the subject is that I don't think that handicapped
parking permits should bring free parking waivers with them.  It is enough
for a person to get preferential parking without getting it for free.  Why
should it be free? Many people have had their handicapped parking passes
stolen by other people who want to park for free.  This is the wrong
message.
JODY