VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Megan McHugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan McHugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:55:40 -0700
Hi Leon,

Do you use Zoomtext to enlarge the screen on your
computer?  I work with someone who has Macular
Degeneration and he uses ZoomText with about 8x
magnification and also uses the Zoomtext text to
speech feature. ZoomText is one of a few similar
screen magnification programs that also have
speech, I understand.  However, I have noticed
that when using Zoomtext at the large
magnification levels that some require, it can be
rather cumbersome and slow as you can only view a
very small area of the screen at a time.  My
observation has been in some cases that a person
who uses text to speech programs such as Window
Eyes or Jaws may be able to operate the computer
more efficiently than scanning around with huge
magnification. This depends on the ability to
touch type and use and remember certain
keystrokes, of course.

Anyway, just my observations here.

Megan