VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 13:12:08 -0700
Hi to all.  Well, I finally updated my Windows Media Player to 9 and my
Realplayer from 8 Plus to 10.

Unfortunately, there have been a couple of side effects (I'll write about
the 2nd one later).  The first problem is that prior to my installation of
Windows Media Player 9, I was using Windows Media Player 7.  Now I have been
listening to song samples from Public Radio Music Source (at
http://www.prms.org for those who want to view) with the intention of later
purchase.  With Windows Media Player 7 and Macromedia Flash, the song
samples were titled and available as Windows Media files.  However, when I
switched to Windows Media 9, the samples could only be played through
Macromedia's Flash Player, and none of the titles were labeled.

I removed the Flash object from my Temporary Internet File Objects and
removed all Flash folders (using the search feature) from the Macromedia and
Macromed folders.  This solved that problem but created another--I could no
longer listen to web-based Windows Media streams (such as those found at
http://www.adsertion.com for example) that required Macromedia's Flash
player to be installed.

I am using a Dell Computer purchased in November of 2000 with a total of 256
megs of ram.  I am also using JAWS 4.51 and while deleting Flash, I noticed
some JAWS Flash files (that I left alone) that included a Flashdisable and a
Flashenable file.  I am also using Windows Millenium Edition.  Given all of
this information, is there a way I can disable and enable Macromedia's Flash
player without having to remove and reinstall it depending upon which web
sites I wish to visit.

Thank you in advance, and any assistance on this topic would sure be
appreciated.  To all, take care.

Ted Chittenden