VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Mary P.Blanton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 14:29:57 -0400
WOW,  thanks to all that took the time to help.  My father is VERY significantly
Visually Impaired AND has never learned to touch type and at 68, the chances of
that happening is slim to none.  I am working Part Time right now.  (Getting
back into the world after several debilitating things that came one right after
another.)  If need be, I can get up to Chattanooga somehow (If they want my help
badly enough, Mom and Dad can come get me.)  I have used Dragon.  My husband,
who is NOT Visually Impaired uses it for all of his documentation:  Functional
Specifications, the first half of Design Specifications, final user
documentation of the new capabilities of the Point Of Sale application that he
codes.  He actually LOVES it.  (He can't spell worth a darn and his fingers are
FAR slower than his mouth when compared to what is coming out of his brain.)

Anyway, something like Dragon is REALLY needed by my father.  Believe me, I
DON'T want to be called by the Hamilton County Sheriff because Mom murdered Dad
over having to do the typing for him and right now, recovering from abdominal
surgery due to cancer, she does NOT have what it takes to put up with what Dad
would require of her.

Something like Windows Eyes or JAWS is an ABSOLUTE necessity!!!  Dad needs to
read emails, the Internet, news, the whole smash.  He is TRYING to run a website
where people pay him for his investment advice.  (Now, I don't even take it for
FREE, but...)  So, he has to ferret out all the bits of information that he
needs to try and create his daily advice, which he has to upload to his
website.  (He has some college kid actually creating the website.  I decided
that if I got sucked into THAT black hole, I would NEVER see the light of day
again so I kept my head down when he was trolling for someone to do THAT!!!
There have already been too many trips from Northern Atlanta to just over the
border in Tennessee because of his CASUAL use of his computer.)

And EVERY Software Engineer I have EVER worked with and my husband currently
works with ALL state "Just say 'NO' to XP!!!"  And the company my husband works
for has DECERTIFIED their In-Store Solution (POS, Kitchen and Back Office
modules) for Tier One fast food chains on XP.  If a customer calls with a
problem and they state the computer they are having problems with is running on
XP, the call is refused and the corporate office of that chain is notified.
(NOT KIDDING!!!)

Anyway, based on this further information, any other thoughts anybody has would
GREATLY, GREATLY appreciated.

Mary Blanton  (Who sees a whole new black hole speeding her way.  Apparently she
did not keep her head down long enough.  Oh well, parents are parents and family
comes first.  Saying a prayer that it won't be too bad.  YEAH RIGHT!!!)