VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:41:36 -0500
Waldoboro [Maine] Courier Gazette

August 05, 2003

    Bank aids visually impaired

    Peoples Heritage Bank has added voice-guided automated teller
machines statewide as part of an effort to make banking more convenient
for blind or visually impaired customers.

    Within three years, every Peoples location with an ATM will offer at
least one machine that is voice guided, bank officials said. Peoples
currently operates 94 ATMs at more than 60 locations throughout Maine.

    So far, voice-guided ATMs are in place in South Portland, Yarmouth
and Auburn.

    Voice-guided ATMs offer the only effective means for blind or
visually impaired persons to do their banking independently, according
to the National Federation for the Blind. The ATMs at Peoples will
enable blind persons to access accounts held with Peoples, as well as
accounts with other banks. Peoples already provides Braille on its ATMs.

    The voice-guided ATMs provide step-by-step audio instructions that
guide blind customers through bank transactions. The voice guidance
technology is accessed by plugging personal headphones into a universal
audio jack installed in the ATM.

    "We are committed to providing a full range of financial services to
our entire customer base, including those who face significant
challenges in fully participating in America's banking system," said
Michael W. McNamara, president and chief executive officer of Peoples.

    The voice-guided ATMs have drawn positive reviews from the IRIS
Network, a statewide organization that provides services, outreach and
support to Mainers who are blind or visually impaired.

    "Like everyone else, we value our privacy and our ability to do
things independently," said Steven Obremski, president and CEO of the
IRIS Network.

    "I applaud Peoples for making its ATMs fully accessible to the blind
community. Peoples has taken an important step toward helping people who
are blind or visually impaired live and work independently in today's
technology-dependent world."

    The installation of voice-guided ATMs in Maine is part of a
five-year, $4.8 million rollout program by Portland-based Banknorth
Group, Inc.

    Peoples has more than 60 branches throughout the state. For
information , visit Web site at www.peoplesheritage.com.