VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gordan Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gordan Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:35:19 -0700
Hi Jacob,  I travel quite a bit abit around the country with my 40 year
old "God Child," Tom.  Tom is a cross country 18 wheel truck driver.
From time to time I get to ride "shot gun" with him. just for the fun
and adventure this 81 year old vision impaired WW II Veteran.  As a
single USAF Ltcol, Ret., former pilot, motorcycle rider, camper and
wilderness back packer, it surely beats watching the travel channel on
TV.  We often stop to eat at the Cracker Barrel Restaurant chain around
the country.  For many years this chain has available on request a
Braille and large print menu for blind and visually impaired guests.  I
sometimes have to request this menu as not all their staff are aware of
this menu format.  There are some other eateries that do accomadate the
blind and visually impaired, but I don't recall which ones.  Suggestion,
I always ask for the Braille/large print menu, and occasionally they
have one.  But, if everyone who reads this were to ask for a
Braille/large print menu when eating out, we would see more and more
eating establishments making them available for us.
 Ciao,  Gordon Wahl
####