VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dino Cardamone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dino Cardamone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:34:30 -0500
Hi All,

For years now I've been going around a website problem that just keeps
popping up, literally, on more and more sites.  So, it's getting annoying
enough to finally ask about.

On many sites, for instance pop music lyric sites, when the page is loaded
into the browser there is a popup that starts running an Windows program
that tries to search my drive for some kind of windows software that is not
currently installed.

I'm using Windows XP service pack two, home edition, and Windows Explorer as
my browser.

The problem is that it's nearly impossible to stop this invasive process
without closing down the browser completely.  I have thought about
installing what it's looking for so that it can find it, but I've been
advised against it since it might be some kind of destructive process.

If I can't find a way to end the process I am forced to not use that web
site at all, because it won't let you until the search is over.  I've tried
closing the window, pushing the "cancel" or "don't install" button, but all
that happens is that it cycles the process and tries again.

Has anybody encountered this yet, and what effective solutions are
available?  Also, if anybody knows what it's trying to load, or why, that
would be helpful to know also.

Thank you.
Dino Cardamone.
Pittsburgh, PA USA