From:
John Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 12:24:22 -0500
Hello again. I've recently rebuilt a Friends Sharp laptop using the factory CD's. Everything seems fine except when the laptop is taken to work. He has a small office with just 1 desktop PC running XP Pro with an ADSL internet connection and locally attached printer. The laptop is running XP Home.
Using an ordinary RJ45 cable I've connected the laptop to the desktop and data can be exchanged both ways and the laptop can print from the printer. However there is a problem with the shared internet connection.
When IE is launched from the laptop, the login box appears on the desktop PC, the username and password are validated and a connection is established, however the laptop will not display any pages. All the internet settings are default.
I've been told that a cross-over RJ45 is required, but that didn't appear to make any difference. (I haven't tried it myself personally!)
Any help to identify what I need to do next would be gratefully received.
Many thanks
John Murray