From:
m_sayer_ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:38:21 -0000
Hi,
A friend of mine has a packard bell system and has a monitor with speakers
on the sides like you speak of. She had been complaining that she didn't
have sound and had never had sound since she got the system, although the
'speaker' icon was in the taskbar near the clock.
I reloaded her pc recently at my own house, and plugged my own speakers in ,
which worked perfectly, and made me believe there was something wrong with
her speakers.
On double checking, I found that her speakers, although part of the monitor
set up, were not actually, 'built in', and so required to be connected to
the mains independently.
Point was, she had never plugged them in, and that's why they hadn't worked.
She had no idea that they had to be connected to a power supply.
(I'm sure you've double checked this, but it may be worth checking for
broken wires etc if you have the icon in the taskbar.)
They actually sound quite nice now.
Another thing which wouldn't have helped matters is that to start with, she
had the speakers plugged into the mic port rather than the speaker
one.........
Also, have you tried right clicking the icon (if you have one there in the
task bar) and opening it up to make sure the sound hasn't been turned down
or switched to mute?
If you have no sound device listed in device manager, it sounds to me like
your sound card hasn't been set up properly or is not working. Try the add
new hardware wizard first, and if that doesn't work, I would look into the
possibility of installing a new sound card.
You don't mention if you have had sound previously?
My friends Packard Bell monitor installed as an unknown or default monitor,
and didn't need any special drivers under win98 BTW.

HTH
Michele Sayer

 I have a Dell Pentium II with Windows 98se. I bought a used monitor which
is a Packard Bell with the speakers on the side. I can't get any sound
because there is no sound device listed.  I think the Packard BEll is 16 bit
and my system is 32 bit. Is there a way to configure my computer to work
with the monitor?

---