From:
"Stanley S. Churchill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:40:58 -0600
Aaaahhh..the memories of dire catastrophe....remember them well...

Ok, first off......"Be sure you don't forget about static electricity",
we'll discuss that later...

No, you don't need to "unplug" everything....but everything must be turned
off...and on your 'puter that means that little switch in the back on your
power supply(where the power cord plugs into....).

Then just move things around until you can COMFORTABLY access the back panel
and remove the side panel(the back panel in case the side panel is attached
with screws).  Depending on the case manufacturer, there is also the
possibility that the side panels and top cover are one piece...in which case
you will have to slide it back about 3/4"+/-, then lift it straight up.(Or
some contortion similar to that).

Then it should be a simple matter of remembering the "Be sure you don't
forget about Static Electricity".....touch the bottom inside the case to get
rid of any static........that little spark of static can "kill" many of
those precious components........

Ok...uh, did I mention "Static Electricity"????

Now, very carefully, remove the existing Memory chip.....paying close
attention to how and why it is in there the way it is....everything from the
cutouts on the ends to the notches between the contacts have a purpose....

Now, lay the one down gently on a piece of cloth(or a mousepad works
great)with the contacts facing right(this way-------->) the lay your new
chip down next to it with the contacts facing left(this
way<-------).....kinda eyeball and line everything up...and "Be sure you
check that the notches between the contacts...match!"

Once your sure they match....re-install the original memory chip(reversing
what ever you did to remove it) then in the slot next to it, install your
new chip........

While you've got the cover off, get a "can of air"($5 at Walmart)or even
two, and blow that sucker out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eyeball everything for "discolorations", curiosity, or any other excuse you
can come up with..(I just like to "play" with my toys).....

Then carefully put the cover back in place.......and restart your
'puter.....

That should just about cover it......except the congratulatory beers(or
drink of choice) as your wife gazes loving at her husband who can "fix
things".....