Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 22:46:46 -0400
Ian,

This may not be related to your post but an incident happened to me on a
similar equipment.

I ran into a similar skull-scratching puzzle of installing an HP Lazerjet
2200 last week.  I had gazillion things going in my mind when one of the
systems I was working on, after a normal reboot,  went through Windows smart
hardware installation asking for the HP 2200 driver.  Unknowingly, I plugged
in the HP CD on the drive and let Windows 'extract' the driver .  I remember
the harddrive whinning and grinding as it processed the information from the
CD drive.  That mistake caused me to reformat an 80 Gig HD.  I have no
explanation for it but for some reasons that driver 'installation' screwed
up the customer's WinMe in a similar fashion you described!   Of course I
know... you run the HP driver CD from the drive and let HP's 'autorun' load
the program.  After completing the program installation, you then let
Windows configure the printer set up automatically on the next boot up.
Well, that in-attention to details on my part sure ruined my weekend.  Have
a good one, mate!

Emie DelRosario