From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 18:47:13 -0500
On Wed, 26 May 2004 11:19:40 -0400, Wade Reeser <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>  I >gave him a copy of Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution which is a low
carb
>approach to treating diabetes.  I think my father responded to this book
for
>several reasons, among them being that Dr. Bernstein was a type 1 diabetic,
>he was 'fragile' and developed complications, successfully treated himself,
>was an engineer before becoming an MD and had a very 'engineer-like'
>approach
>to his illness.  I think the book is well written and informative.  You
>might
>give this book a shot, I imagine someone with multiple degrees wouldnt mind
>a bit of reading :)
>
>  Wade

Thanks Wade.  I have read Dr. Bernstein's excellent book and tried to get
my father interested in it and others to no avaoil -- but I am beginning to
think he just doesn't want to give up certain foods.  He justifies eating
them by saying that's what the ADA recommends -- but he has heard an
alternative view from the oncology naturopath who said that ALL of their
cancer patients are told to eat in a paleo type manner -- ie organic animal
based proteins and non-starchy veggies.  VERY LITTLE fruit if at all.  He
also said that diabetics must run as fast as they can from the ADA
recommendations to gorge on starch and eat desserts.  (Good G-d -- they
suggest diabetics can eat desserts now -- no wonder type 2s are getting
fatter and fatter (if they weren't fat to begin with) and insulin
dependent.)  I think Dr. Bernstein is a hero and his personal story truly
inspiring.  But you can only lead a horse to water -- not make him drink.
My father actually thinks it's normal to fall asleep after meals --
especially his ADA approved breakfast of cereal w/skim milk, orange juice,
and toast!