From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 12:39:10 -0700
Just found this this morning:
Predictors of healthy aging in men with high life expectancies.

Out of 6,505 initially healthy men of Japanese ancestry who were
followed for 28 years, 2524 (39%) died prior to the final exam. Of the
3263 available survivors, 41% remained free of major clinical illnesses,
40% remained free of both physical and cognitive impairment, and 19%
remained free of both illness and impairment. The most consistent
predictors of healthy aging were low blood pressure, low serum glucose,
not smoking cigarettes, and not being obese - all factors that are well
under human control.

Reed DM, et al. Predictors of healthyaging in men with high life
expectancies. Am J Public Health. 1998 Oct; 88 (10): 1463-1468.

I know there's an Italian study of longevity somewhere that found that
the three characteristic common on those living 'well' to 100 years of
age had low insulin, low tryglycerides and high HDL. I'd imagine that
low insulin is a marker for relatively low Blood glucose levels.

Liz

--
http://shopnow.netscape.com/