From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:52:38 +0100
> Genes involved in recycling amino acids, the building blocks of
> proteins, have changed in the human line, the Science article reports.
> Those could reflect changes in diet when humanlike descendants of the
> mostly fruit-eating ancestor switched to meat."
>
> -Jim

I learnt that primates come from the line of mammals that from the beginning
were insect eaters and that it is a difficult switch to make, the one from
being a herbivore to become a carnivore and that the switch the other way
around, from being a meat eater to being a veggie consumer is more common.

The article also says that "Humans and chimps shared a joint ancestor as
recently as five million years ago". We still do share a joint ancestor -
the interesting question is when we started sharing, that is when we
differed from each other. Perhaps something happened 100.000 years ago but
there are good signs that we had speach before that. No doubt there will be
more on that subject!
Eva