From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:41:49 -0500
ireseau > My survival reflex is: reaching for a corkscrew.  Really, all it takes to
make wine is a skin bag and a bunch of mashed grapes, how can wine not be
paleo?

I'm really not sure I want to be dragged into this again.  I'll simply try
answer by re-posting pieces of a comment I made on this list a couple of
months ago.  I'm arguing below that mere consumption of a foodstuff by our
pre-agricultural ancestors isn't enough to prove that it's good for us:

"What happens when [potential edibles are] only seasonably available or
available in small quantities?  Does a threshold amount exist, both
volume-wise and periodic-wise, above which [an item becomes a natural part
of our diet and therefore healthful]? I don't believe you can make the
jump from mere consumption (which itself is arguable) to healthfulness.
Especially given evidence that... the closer a population is to their
hunter gatherer roots, the more powerful alcohol's negative impact on
their well being.... The safer bet, in my opinion, is to call [alcohol
consumption] neutral at best to our well being if not outright
deleterious."