From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:10:19 +0200
From: "mieke janssen" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 10:22 PM
Subject: Re: insulin levels
omega-6/omega-3-ratios in some oils (the lower the better) but some have
other drawbacks! OBS!

Linseed oil 0,2
Rape (canola?) oil  2
Soy oil  6
Wheat germ oil 10
Olive oil   13
Corn oil 45
Sesame oil  109
Sunflowerseed oil 131
Grape germ oil 173
Safflower oil 397

Some of these oils are heavily supported by commercial interests who also
support health authorities that in their turn support the oils. To me
linseed oil has a slight fishy taste so it would go together with for
instance salads with fish and sea food. It is not good for frying. Rape oil
can be used for frying as well as salads. Personally I use these two oils
and olive oil and none of the others. Recently I read that mustard seed oil
should be good in omega6/omega3 ratios but I have no number.

Somehow I have a slight suspicion against the oils that are made from seeds
(even if I use some of them) since seeds always has substances like
lectines, that amongst other things causes growth of tissue. All seeds are
also high in omega6 which we get too much of compaired to omega3. There are
low levels of nutrients that we need (like vitamin A and C) and there are
substances that stops our bodies from using the nourishment there is in
seeds and for instance causes osteoporosis. I don't really understand how
producers can rid the seed products of these unhealthy qualities. I have put
this question to the list before: Why are the seeds from wheat, rye, barley
and oat the only seeds that are not paleo while others are all right to eat
in apparently any quantities? If anyone has a link or an opinion that is not
only based on likes and dislikes I would be glad to know of it.

On the other hand there is virgin olive oil that is taken from a berry, not
squeezed out of the seed and I know that many think that coconut oil, if
squeezed under cold conditions is very healthy. We don't have that product
in Sweden so I really could not vouche for it. Perhaps we should in fact
only eat these fruit in their natural condition?

If you can grow it in your garden or not does not make it paleo or non paleo
so just you freak along!
Eva