From:
Phosphor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:09:53 +1000
< I recall once seeing an estimate of the number of
 milliliters of ethanol produced each day in the healthy human gut. It was
not an insignificant amount.>

The figure i have seen is equal to 5 standard drinks.  We can't assume there
were only tiny quantities of rotten fruit available to paleo man.  From past
posts, we know in northern europe the ripening of berry species takes place
sequentially over 2-3 months. surely paleo man came across vast thickets of
brambles from time to time.

I'm convinced many of the behavourial problems with alcohol consumption are
more related to the peptides and other bits and pieces [called cogeners]
that are in drinks in minute quantities.

andrew