From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:08:24 +0900
On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 02:48  PM, Jens Wilkinson wrote:
> luxury. I wonder if there's anything we can do about
> this contradiction. Perhaps setting up an
> "international paleo assistance program"

I worked for two years in the Peace Corps, doing something very much
like that. I ran a livestock promotion program, mainly aimed at
improving animal health and nutrition. Grain feeding is impossible at
that level, so we promoted superior grass species, water availability,
disease prevention and things like that.

The local diet, in Central America, was very basic, corn tortillas and
black beans, supplemented by small amounts of vegetables and a little
animal food. My group worked to increase the animal component of the
diet. Other groups taught fish cultivation, vegetable gardening etc.

The main problem in these countries, from my perspective, was the
concentration of political power. There is very little that we could do
that had any long term effect, because those with control over the
military and police used their power to cement the social structure in
place. Any attempts to improve the lot of the poor resulted in violence
and death. There was little motive for the average person to improve
his lot, because it could all be lost to a jealous neighbor in an
instant, through sabotage, or a simple accusation to the local military
authorities of "subversion".

About the only hope these people had was that one of their relatives
would escape to the United States and arrange for the whole family to
join him.

Foreign countries poured aid into Central America, it was purely
amazing how much money and equipment and food was sloshing around from
all of the various governmental, religious, NGO, organizations. For the
most part it was wasted or stolen by the elite, or actually caused
damage by displacing the very people it was supposed to help, as for
example, free corn given to peasant corn farmers, thus depressing the
price of their own crop. After I had come home to the US I spent a lot
of time thinking about my experiences there, and ended up an enemy of
nearly all foreign aid programs. It seems to me the evil they do far
outweighs what little good they accomplish.

I like to hope that the techniques I taught to local farmers have been
of some value to them since. Perhaps a few children got a little better
diet in the years after I left than they would have otherwise. I can't
hope for much more. A great deal could be accomplished very quickly, if
these people were free to pursue their own interest. They are stubborn,
tough, intelligent and very hard working. But if they remain under the
thumbs of the powerful in government, nothing much can change.

Sorry for the long, somewhat off topic post. This is a strong hot
button topic for me, and I just had to respond. If anyone would like to
discuss this with me further feel free to contact me directly.