C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mag Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 04:54:37 GMT
annthony, may i suggest a less extreme thing than botox, and have the woman try feldenkrais to 1. increase her awareness of her lips, and 2, gain more control of them as well as her other muscles in her face.
www.feldenkrais.org

Mag Raine is an author, artist, and serves on Oakland's disability commission.

--- "Elizabeth H. Thiers" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I've never heard of Botox being used to release lips musculature for that
reason.  Usually, from my end, it is used to release a muscle group, then
the therapist will often utilize progressive splinting to increase how far a
joint will move along with strengthening the apposing (sp?) muscle group.
For example, if someone had a contracture or decreased use of the elbow,
botox would be used in the biceps (arm bending)and the triceps (arm
straightening) would be strengthened.
Which muscles are affected on your friend would depend on treatment.

Beth t the OT