VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 07:15:17 -0500
7bit
From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
mark,

the ironic thing about access to information technology for people with
disabilities, particularly the blind, is that the access to the technology
costs more than the underlying technology itself.  For example, screen
readers now cost more than computers.  Unfortunately, there is no such thing
as a windows screen reader that is free or available for under $100.  you
don't say how you access the computer now and who paid for that access.  if
you use a screen reader to compose the e-mail sent to the list, could you
also use it at home?  how was the software licensed?  some screen reader
companies allow for several installations, such as on a home and work
computer.  If multiple installations are not possible, there are other
options for saving, including some grant programs which appeared on this
list in the last year, tapping social Security benefits, and low interest
loan programs for adaptive technology.  for more info on funding issues,
check out my package of articles on esight.org   Free registration is
required.  Be sure to read the overview piece.  It was culled from my
experience and the knowledge of disability leaders from around the country.

Kelly