VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 14:06:52 -0700
From:
Sun Sounds of Arizona <[log in to unmask]>
As a life long Braille user, I applaud those restaurants enlightened enough
to recognize both their social responsibility, and the market potential of
accessible menus.  I make it a point to always ask for a Braille menu, and
give repeat business to those who can provide one.  I am well aware that
the majority of visually impaired people do not use Braille, but I confess
to irritation when that fact is used as a deterrent to providing
Braille.  At least to some extent, the argument that because few use
Braille it shouldn't be available is circular logic.  If it is never
available, then the impetus to learn Braille and any personal motivation to
do so is removed.  A self fulfilling situation.

It is also true though that providing a menu in Braille only addresses
accessibility incompletely.  Cassette menu?  You must be kidding!  If you
want to have some fun, go to a restaurant that does not have Braille menus,
and ask the server to read the menu for you.  Talk about a fiasco?

Visually impaired people as a group are a major market.  Not the biggest,
but one worth wooing.  We need to realize that.   Though we need to
continue to push for increased access to information such as menus, we
shouldn't denigrate Braille or those who use it, just because not everyone
can use it.  That is tirany of the majority, and we should know all about that.

Bill