From:
Scott Mandell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Mandell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 08:08:21 -0500

LEGISLATIVE ACTION ALERT

FROM THE FOOD ALLERGY INITIATIVE

RESIDENTS OF ILLINOIS, SOUTH CAROLINA, TEXAS,

MISSOURI AND FLORIDA

You can help us deliver a message to House Speaker Denny Hastert (R-IL), U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Congressman Tom Delay (R-TX), Congressman Roy Blunt (R-MO) and Congressman Mike Bilirakis (R-FL) asking them to support the "Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act". This bill currently before Congress does two very important things:

  1.. Requires food manufacturers to include critical health and safety information on product labels, and;
  2.. Requires manufacturers to label the main eight food allergens in common language.
These simple changes to labeling can save the lives of the 200 Americans who die each year from allergic reactions and prevent the hospitalization of over 30,000 who receive life-saving treatment in emergency rooms annually.

All we ask is that you leave a message like:

·         I support the "Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act".

·         I think manufacturers should list on labels food allergens in their product.

·         Other health and safety information regarding allergens should also be clearly labeled.

To connect with your Member of Congress on this issue, please email Andy Pearson at [log in to unmask] and he will call you back to connect you with your Congressman. Please send Andy a time of day that works for you and your phone number. Calls will begin the week of September 29.

The Food Allergy Initiative is an organization committed to treatment and cure of food allergies that affect approximately 7 million Americans. For more information, please visit www.FoodAllergyInitiative.org.