Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:37:48 -0500

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question, which was whether I
should be taking my 4 year old with Celiac on her school trip to the farm
and hayride.  I got so many responses and will try to summarize the best I
can.
Out of 31 responses, 24 people said that they would definitly take her.  2
felt that it was not worth the risk fo her getting sick and 5 werent sure,
but were curious to the answers I got.

Many of the listmates had Celiac children who have been going on hayrides
for years with no probems.  Of course, most recommended she wear mittens
and/or wash her hands afterwards.

The 2 listmates that felt she shouldnt go, had good reasons.  One has been
living on a farm for many years and gets very sick just being around straw
and needs to use an inhaler.  The oth
er listmate felt it was better to be
safe and recommended offering an alternative fall event and treat that day.

Most listmates were very supportive and had some great advice, having
Celiac children and/or children with special needs themselves.  They
stressed the importance of not making her feel any different than she has
to.
Many shared thier knowledge that the straw itself does not contain the
gluten aspect.  "The dry stems are what is left over after they remove the
grain head".

Again, that you for all the advice and support!
Nancy
PA