THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cindy Kirchhoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 10:13:54 -0400
In a message dated 5/19/97 3:05:12 AM, Mary wrote:

<<My "Prescription for Nutritional Healing," does say, however, that EPO
promotes the production of estrogen, and that black currant seed is a
good substitute for people with breast cancer who shouldn't "promote"
estrogen in their systems. While estrogen is not inherently harmful to
us with thyroid disease, it can change our thyroid hormone dose
requirement, so that's an important note to keep in mind.

(When I talked with Dr. Langer, I mentioned EPO and he said he was
telling people to take borage oil now. Borage is basically in the same
family and does the same things as well.)>>

Thanks for good info as usual Mary. :-) (BTW, how's the pregnancy coming
along? Hope you're doing great!) But one question, does borage oil also
increase the amount of estrogen a person has? I just attended a talk by a man
who says excess estrogen is the cause of all sorts of problems, including
thyroid dysfunction. He basically is against adding any more sources of
estrogen to anyone's intake and feels the amount we already do receive needs
to be balanced by increased natural progesterone to get to optimum health.
Interesting, but I'm still weighing whether I should believe all this or not.
(My skepticism arose because he was selling his own products to help the
problems he discussed.)

Take care,
Cindy