THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alice Shawyer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 07:57:58 -0700
Debby Vivari wrote:
> Alice, you had insomnia with Synthroid that went away with Armour?!!
> Really?!! Do you have any theory why the Armour has addressed the
insomnia,
> but the Synthroid didn't?  (Can you tell I have an insomnia problem and
> my Synthroid sure isn't helping it any?).

Dear Debby,
I apologize for waiting so long to respond.  For the past 3 years I have
had terrible insomnia, so bad that some mornings I would sit on my bed and
sob because I was so exausted and knew that I had a full day of being Mom
ahead.  The type of insomnia that I suffered was night waking - most nights
falling asleep was no problem, but after about two hours I would begin
waking as often as every 15 mins.  I wasn't expecting Armour to affect the
insomnia at all.  Within days of switching to Armour the sleep periods
became longer and I was sleeping more deeply.  In fact, if one of my kids
wake me now I feel groggy as I tend them, whereas before I would be wide
awake.
        I take 3 grs. of Armour, 2 in the morning and 1 in the early evening. I
don't think that Synthroid was the cause of the problems that I
experienced, but it certainly didn't cure my problems and probably acted as
a mask when tests were run (only T4 and TSH being measured). If your body
doesn't use the T4 of course your levels will remain normal! That doesn't
mean that your body isn't starving.
        I don't know why this worked.  All in all I am feeling more normal in
many ways.  If you are taking Synthroid and are experiencing any hypo
symptoms, it is probably worth a trial period with Armour.  I had to
threaten to find a new doc, but it was worth the effort.
        I certainly understand the feeling of desperation that goes with long term
insomnia! I was ready to go into debt to buy a mattress full of magnets,
and my cupboard if full of remedies.  I hope that you find a solution for
your sleep problems soon.
Regards, Alice Shawyer