THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Graciela Spivak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 14:32:37 -0700
On Thu, 15 May 1997, Pauline Lathram wrote:

> My 15 year old daughter is on time release T3 medication in the Wilson's
> Syndrome protocol.  This requires taking her temperature during the day.  She
> has been at a steady dose for two weeks and mostly her temps have been in the
> 98 to 98.6 range.  But she occasionally "crashes" and her temps drop by a
> degree or more, the T3 becomes uneven, and she feels bad.
>
> The two causes for this crash are 1) not eating fat with a meal (VERY big
> difference) or 2)negative self talk, low self esteem issues.

I think you are on to something.  I've heard that Synthroid and other
thyroid versions are not absorbed very well in the gut, and that it is
important to take the hormone on an empty stomach.  So I wonder, is it
possible that our diet influences the amount of hormone we absorb?  And
our state of mind, and, at least for women, our time in the cycle, and
many other factors?
Perhaps, for those of us experiencing crashes, it would be useful to keep
a journal in which we write down what and when we ate or drank, what meds
are we taking and when, what stressful events happened, whether we slept
well or not, you get the idea.  Maybe some interesting correlations will
crop up...
Graciela