THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Shomon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:27:22 -0500
Erin A. O'Neill wrote:
<snip>
I have other weird symptoms that don't seem to be hashimotos & none of
my doctors know what it is.  Besides the bone-tiredness & weight gain I
have: thinning eyebrows, ridges on my nails, thinning hair (also dry &
brittle), dry skin, water retention, cold hands & feet, exercise makes
me feel sick to my stomache, migraines, spotting between periods & LONG
heavy periods, PMS 3 weeks out of the month, memory loss, lack of
concentration, depression - heavy depression...<snip>blurry vision
<snip>
Erin:

Most of the symptoms you describe are in fact fairly common symptoms of
hypothyroidism.  Dry, brittle, thinning/falling out hair is very common,
all over the body, and eyebrows particularly.

Dry skin, blurry vision (often a result of extra dry eyes), dry hair are
all part of the same constellation of symptoms.

Long heavy and more frequent periods are also common with
hypothyroidism.

Memory, concentration, depression...again, all common.

I had most of these things as well, and my GP doctor couldn't tell me
why either, until I started reading and talking to other thyroid
patients, and went to an endo who said alot of these were fairly common.

My biggest question is why these symptoms seem to continue for many of
us despite taking thyroid hormone AND being in the much-revered "normal"
range of blood levels!

Mary