THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 11:30:00 -0400
I apologize for the tardiness in getting this message out, especially because
so many of you requested it. I am posting the message to the group in the
hopes that the information will be helpful to an even greater number than
those that requested it.

Some of the most common symptoms that may indicate sluggish adrenal function
are lack of energy and alertness; a sense of being "driven" and anxious
followed by great fatigue; weakness and lethargy; poor memory; low blood
pressure and poor circulation; moodiness and irritability; sugar dysfunctions
(hypoglycemia and diabetes); low immunity; brittle nails, dry skin; cravings
for sweets.
Additionally, the following symptoms may also be present in the absence of
sufficient adrenal function.  Please note that many of these symptoms are
also consistent with hypothyroid symptoms, and perhaps that is why, even
after proper dosing of thyroid hormone replacement, many symptoms do not seem
to subside.  My symptoms actually grew worse, as my adrenals were trying so
hard to keep up with my thyroid once I started thyroid hormone replacement.
Additional symptoms:
low body temps; constant fatigue and muscular weakness; sweating and or
wetness of hands and feet caused by nervousness; paranoia, depression,
frequent heart palpitations; light-headed sensation and/or fainting spells;
chronic heartburn, vague indigestion or stomach pain; alternating
constipation and diarrhea;  cravings for salt,  lack of thirst; food
sensitivities/allergies; headaches; insomnia; extreme
 sensitivity to odors and/or noise; intolerance to alcohol; clenching and/or
grinding of teeth; chronic pain in the lower neck and upper back; poor
concentration, confusion, clumsiness; inability to cope with normal daily
stress, panic attacks; compulsive behavior, an unusually small jawbone or
chin; crowded teeth;chronic breathing disorders such as asthma, a tendency
toward developing yeast/fungal infections excessively low cholesterol level
(below 150mg/dl); bouts with infections.

The test I had to check adrenal function is called a cortisyn stimulation
test.  If you may have mild adrenal insufficiency, you can ask you doctor to
do this test.  The test has to be done first thing in the a.m. while fasting.
In his book "From Fatigued to Fantastic" Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum recommends the
cortisol baseline be drawn between 7:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. After the baseline
cortisol is drawn the patient is given 25 IU's of adrenocorticotropic hormone
(ACTH), IM and then the cortisol levels are again checked at 30 minutes and 1
hour.  He recommends a trial of Cortef (cortisol replacement) if the
following is true:
* The cortisol level at baseline is less than 12 micrograms per deciliter
(mcg/dl) or,
*  The cortisol level does not increase by at least 7mcg/dl at 30 minutes and
11 mcg/dl at 1hour, or
*  The cortisol level does not double from the baseline and is under 35 to 40
mcg/dl.

Additionally, Dr. Teitelbaum has found in his research that many patients
that tested abnormally low for cortisol levels, also tested very low for DHEA
levels, which may be another test that will be helpful for those of you that
suspect sluggish adrenal function.  In my case, I had the lowest baseline
cortisol level my doc has seen in years.  In keeping with that, my DHEA
levels were consistent with those of an 80 year old woman (I am 41!)  I am
now on low doses of both Cortef and DHEA, and the improvement is very
evident.   A few months ago I could barely function, and this week I am
leaving for a 10 day trip to Italy with five other women friends!  If someone
would have told me at the first of the year that I would be able to do this,
I would have laughed.  I am still not 100% but I plan to get there.  Treating
my adrenal problems made all the difference for me.  I hope this information
is helpful to someone else on the list.
Blessings,
Ricci