THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 10:56:13 EDT
> I went to see my Endo Dr. on Tuesday, he wants to remove my enlarged
> thyroid nodule.  I had it since 1989, and it has grown at a reasonable slow
> rate.  I am on Synthroid .125mg.  My T3 and T4 cells in the OK range,
> however, I having my T4 & TSH tested next week to find out what exactly is
> going on with my nodule.
>
> I don't want to have surgery perform on my nodule.
>
> My question is:  Has anyone had their thyroid nodule remove when there is
> really no problem.  I don't have any of the side effects from Synthroid nor
> do I have complications with my nodule as far as it being hypo or hyper -
> it is just normal, but enlarged.  Does anyone think I should have surgery.
> I welcome any suggestions or comments.
>

> Thanks
>
> Connie Moore

Re: Removal of Nodule on Thyroid
If your thyroid is functioning properly, and if the nodules are not
causing you any discomfort in swallowing, breathing, etc. based on my
past experience I would suggest that you should leave them as they
are for as long as possible.  Because with surgery they do not just
remove the nodules, they usually remove part of the thyroid to make
sure that the nodules do not grow back.  And after the surgery there
is a long period for your body to get adjusted to half a thyroid.  I
was experiencing anxiety attacks, forgetfulness, loss of hair, etc.
I had mine done in 1978
(quite ignorant then as to thyroid functions, etc.) with the removal of
nodules and the left lobe of the thyroid.  I went off Synthroid 2
years after the surgery (again due to ignorance and without my endo's
enlightment).  The nodules started growing
again about two years ago.  I am diagnosed as being hypo now. This time they are causing discomfort as
they are pushing against my windpipe (a choking feeling).  My current
endo does not suggest surgery as he said second surgery (with all the
scar tissues from the first one) would be VERY risky, much more so
than the first one.  I was told to
try to live with it for as long as possible.  I am on synthroid now,
it might retard growth but not shrink it according to my end.
In hind sight, if I were a better informed patient I would not have
opted for the surgery as my thyroid was functioning properly then.

                                                 Lena