THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donna Janeczko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 21:10:51 -0400
Jackie,

How in the world can this doctor know whether 1 mg. levothyroxine is the
proper dosage if s/he hasn't retested you since prescribing it?  I hope you
told your gynecologist and that person retested your thyroid levels!
Estrogen affects T4 levels and that should be taken into consideration when
assessing thyroid levels.  I guess that not all doctors are aware of this,
as odd as it may sound.  You have the right to ask any and all questions
about your diagnosis and treatment as are necessary to give you an
understanding of your treatment, particularly in light of the fact that you
have other diagnosed conditions.

I have synthroid-induced Graves' disease from inappropriate dosage without
proper monitoring for eleven years.  If you wish to learn from my
experience:  get copies of all thyroid testing and read the results against
the "normals" listed.  Read, research, discuss.  Don't simply trust that
doctors will look after your best interests.  For years doctors insisted
that you could not become hyperthyroid from overdosage with synthroid, but
now most of the Endocrinology Associations freely admit in print that this
does, indeed, happen.